b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: clayton stirling bartholomew <c.s.bartholomew AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:01:01 -0700

on 07/04/00 1:45 AM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> This may be the same idea as what you folks are calling a "non-cancelable"
> semanitc-functional significance.

Rolf, Kimmo and others,

After reading this thread again it is pretty obvious that my first take on
the term "uncancellable" was wide of the mark by quite a bit. This happens
sometimes at 2 AM in the morning so perhaps I shall just keep reading and
see if I can figure out what is meant by this strange term.

Terminology can introduce a lot of fog into these discussions. However, we
should not allow the terminology problem to obscure the fact that there is
real and substantial disagreement here between the several contributors to
this discussion. I suspect that if we were to clearly understand what each
person is saying we would find at least three distinct and more or less
incompatible approaches represented in this thread.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point