b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:04:56 +0200

Dear Clay and Dave,

I agree that words (sounds and letters) just are semantic signals with no
intrinsic meaning (de Saussure). However, each word signals a concept in
the minds of those having the same presupposition pool (the common
understanding of the society). I discuss this at length in my book on Bible
translation, and argue that this realization is a very good foundation for
a *concordant* translation (provided that the target group wants such a
translation). This is so because the consequence of this view is that
*meaning* is found in the minds of living people, and neither in a lexicon
nor in the context of the words. The context does not generate new meaning,
it only makes visible which part of the concept (in the minds of people)
that the author wants to stress. True, new meaning can be conveyed by help
of combinations of words in a context, but this meaning is still dependent
upon the combination of the concepts signaled by the words.

Regarding Bible translation I have coined the concept "The contextual
fallacy" which has the following definition: The view that words (the
concepts they signal) do not have a meaning without a context and its
application to two different situations (the original situation and the
modern one) as if they were just one situation of communication." Polysemy
need some extra treatment.

The basis for my conclusion is Psycholinguistics and particular experiments
inside this discipline. Methodologically speaking, it means that it is
possible to find the fundamental linguistic units of a language and that it
is meaningful to work with such entities. Just as each basic word signals
one single concept (or two having been fused to one in some situations), so
the basic morphosyntactic forms signal one concept in the minds of those
having the same presupposition pool. For instance, several experiments
clearly suggest that word classes are real entities in the minds of people,
because one way to store words in the mind, is on the basis of word classes
(this should not be difficult for you Dave, who rely on Chomsky). And now I
come to my point.

To find lexical meaning in a dead language is much easier that to find the
meaning of morphosyntactic forms. Polysemy is in many cases easy to find.
However, the verbal system consists of just a few fundamental parts, and
from a synchronic point of view, it is likely that each part signals a
particular concept in the minds og those having the same presupposition
pool. This may of course change with time, and that is something that can
be studied. Because we do not have the original presupposition pool, we
have to study function, use, and context to try to find the meaning of a
form such as YIQTOL. I try to avoid assumptions as far as possible. But if
we do not assume that the YIQTOLs of the Tanach do not signal one concept
(until the opposite is shown), we will start our study with a great
handicap. Then we have no point of reference, and it is difficult to
evaluate our results. We should not confuse the functions of a form with
its meaning(s), but should find a generalisation (meaning) that covers all
its functions. I therefore assume that a difference in morphology means a
difference in meaning, but I am open for the possibility that there are
exceptions.

Regards Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo