b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 16:20:35 +0100

Dear Kimmo,

Thank you for clarifying many things here, and especially for explaining
more clearly what events can be considered punctual.

But after looking at the definitions you quote, I wonder if there are any
truly punctual events. Your best example of punctuality, "the cable
snapped", is not truly punctual. It does have an internal structure: a crack
opens up in the metal of a the cable and takes a finite time to cross it.
With an actual metal chain this time is likely to be too quick to be
consciously discerned, but this is simply because of the material. Indeed,
physics tells us that no event takes place truly instantaneously, all events
have duration. We cannot say "the cable snapped for two nanoseconds", but we
can say "the cable was snapping for two nanoseconds", with the implication
that the load was then removed so that the snapping process did not
continue. In the sentence

"The boy sat on the branch. But he soon realised that the branch was
snapping, so he jumped off it."

"snap" is not punctual, and is imperfective. As the material is different,
the time taken to snap is discernable. In this scenario, probably the branch
did not snap off completely, but it was damaged. Of course this is
comparable with the sentence

"When the doctor arrived the woman was dying, but he managed to save her
with a new wonder drug."

Then how about this one?

"When we got to the casualty ward the woman was dying. Her heart had just
stopped, and the doctors were trying to resuscitate her by pounding her
chest and with electric shocks, but to no avail."

Is "die" punctual in these contexts? It is certainly imperfective.

My conclusion: punctuality is not an absolute (or uncancellable) binary
category, it is a continuum, so that if we look closely enough any event has
internal structure.

Peter Kirk