b-hebrew - Structure of Exod 19:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Structure of Exod 19:18
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:53:02 -0700

I'm curious about the clause MIP.:N"Y )A:$ER YFRAD (FLFYW
YHWH BF)"$ in this passage. Specifically, the arrangement of
words seems...odd. From my transformational POV, it looks as
though the )$R clause has been moved ahead of YHWH; the deep
(pre-movement) clause would have been MIP.:N"Y YHWH )A:$ER
YFRAD (FLFYW BF)"$, "from the face of YHWH who descended
upon it in fire." The problem is the last word, BF)"$. Why didn't it
get moved with the rest of the clause? The rest of the clause
appears to have been moved into a position between MIP.:N"Y and
YHWH, making the )$R clause the nomen rectum of the construct
chain. Maybe BF)"$ did get moved, then YHWH was moved up for
some reason? Or maybe it's a scribal problem? I'm curious as to
what some of you discourse folks think of this clause, I'm also
curious about what Vince thinks of it. For a constituent movement
fan like me, it's a bit of a mystery.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"In the face of an obstacle which is impossible to
overcome, stubborness is stupid." Simone de Beauvoir