b-hebrew - 1 Samuel 1:1-20 Verbal Sequences

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph Brian Tucker" <music AT riverviewcog.org>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: 1 Samuel 1:1-20 Verbal Sequences
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:7:3

Shalom

I have read the past posts on this passage from 11-25-98 through 11-27-98,
as well as, 12-16-98. It was difficult to follow the arguments that were
put forth, but the content was interesting and I would like to know more.

1. Which verbs form the main narrative. I am looking to properly define the
main narrative?

2. When one looks at subordinate, embedded sequence, what are the signals
for the change?

3. I would like some explanatory observations concerning this passage, and
guidance on how to properly go about this type of discourse analysis.

4. Did Bryan, Rolf or Vincent ever come to any conclusions concerning this
section?

5. Could someone define "mainline in embedded narrative"? I am pretty sure
I know what it means, I just wish to be consistent in my use of the
phrase.

6. What is the proper way to understand the four VaYeHi in 1:1-20?

7. Is there any consecutiving (is that a word?) going on in this passage?

Bryan provided a graphic representation of verses 1-10 that was helpful in
formulating my questions.

Todah
Joseph Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI