b-hebrew - Re: Small request

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Small request
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:53:47 +0100

I've tried to turn off HTML formatting for messages to the BH list from my
new E-mailer (Outlook Express, which does not automatically open
attachments). But it's hard to check if this works. Perhaps, Ian, you can
confirm this for me.

But I warn you all, you are probably not safe from catching a virus just
because you use a less intelligent E-mailer, at least unless it is so dumb
that it does not recognise attachments at all. You may be less likely than
others to spread them further. But you are as likely to stop the
proliferation of intelligent E-mailers with an appeal like this as the
Luddites were to stop the progress of technology (with its side-effects of
more effective weapons) by smashing machines.

If you want to be safe from viruses, there are two things you should do:
never open attached documents unless you know what they are; and install a
good virus checker program and keep it updated regularly.

Peter Kirk