b-hebrew - Re: BH- Eccl. 3, stones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Naama Zahavi-Ely <nxzaha AT wm.edu>
  • To: Cynthia Edenburg <cynthia AT oumail.openu.ac.il>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BH- Eccl. 3, stones
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 07:40:05 -0400

The term that comes to mind is mevush, which appears only once, in plural
with 3ms
pronominal suffix as mevushav (m:wu$fw, Deuteronomy 25 11) - a hapax
legomena whose
meaning is absolutely clear. The root means 'shame', of course. I would
never have
connected "stones" in Hebrew with testicles, neither in Biblical Hebrew nor
in any
other period of the language. The formal word in modern hebrew is ashach
()f$fx), and
I would guess it that it comes from Misnaic Hebrew. Unfortunately I don't
have the
literature to check its period here.

Best wishes,

Naama Zahavi-Ely