b-hebrew - SV: BH- Eccl. 3, stones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'Cynthia Edenburg' <cynthia AT oumail.openu.ac.il>
  • Subject: SV: BH- Eccl. 3, stones
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:17:48 +0200

Isn't "stones" as euphemism for testicles supposed to be one of the possible
explanations of the "ur'iyten 'al-ha'avnayim 'im-ben hu'" in Ex 1,16 -
i.e. that the midwives were to check the newborn baby's genitals to
determine whether (s)he should be killed. (I know it's not a _certain_
attestation of this usage).

shavua tov
Soren Holst
Copenhagen