b-hebrew - Transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Glenn Cook" <pule67 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:01:57 -0700

To anyone that is kind enough to take the time to enlighten me. I know you are all busy.

I have just found this service and have enjoyed your arguments, but need enlightenment on your transliteration. I was in my mid-60's when I first started to learn Greek and Hebrew and, as I was not able to attend school to do so, studied on my own and know I missed a lot. Your transliteration must have been one of the things I missed, as the transliteration I learned was nowere like the one you are using.

When I read Joseph’s letter, for instance and he says: 1. In 1 Sam 1:28 some manuscripts read YI$:T.AX:AWW, I have no way of understanding his transliteration to know exactly what words he is referring to in I Sam 1:28.

I’m just an old man that sets in his study and reads and you are very busy students, so don’t worry about this and only answer if you have the time.

Glenn Cook