b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch, Pithom/Succoth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch, Pithom/Succoth
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:20:39 +0100

At 11.08 20/03/00 -0500, Peter Kirk wrote:
>Thank you, Walter, for your excellent evidence in support of the
>theory (proposed by David Rohl) dating the Exodus in the Middle
>Bronze, at the end of the 13th dynasty. This was the period when the
>site was occupied by Asiatics and then abandoned by them, exactly
>according to the Exodus traditions.

Peter, you can't resurrect the dead (and Rohl is academically a dead issue)
by citing selective information while ignoring the bulk of the source. The
above is arbitrary manipulation for tendentious purposes. If you reread
Walter's post you'll see that you have, by your preamble and selected cuts,
misrepresented the original post to such an extent that you have his words
saying the opposite of what his full text says.

If you accept Walter's data regarding Tell el-Maskhutah, then his
conclusion is plain: "thus Pithom/Succoth entered the Pentateuchal
narratives after 582 BCE." If anything, this argues for a very late exodus
and against "the theory (proposed by David Rohl) dating the Exodus in the
Middle Bronze, at the end of the 13th dynasty." That you can't get what you
what you claim to from Walter's post is obvious from reading it. Your
response therefore seems only to be a provocation, for I can't see even you
believing what you have written.

Walter is up front with his reasoning regarding his search for dating
indications of the biblical texts: he is actively doing research in that
direction. What is the point of sending such a post as you did adding no
new information (you have added no new information to any of these
discussions about dating) and giving what seems to be a deliberately wrong
impression of support for A Waste of Time?

You had promised to let the dead rest. Why get back to this voodoo in an
attempt to make the zombie walk?

Ian