b-hebrew - Re[2]: Dating the Pentateuch, Pithom/Succoth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Dating the Pentateuch, Pithom/Succoth
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:16:06 -0500

Ian, let's leave David Rohl out of the argument. I understand that
some people react to that name like a bull reacts to a red rag. Be
honest with yourself: would you have reacted so strongly if I had not
mentioned David Rohl?

I accept that from the same data I have reached a different conclusion
from Walter. I am not doing active research into this, but presumably
Walter expects readers on this list to point out to him the weak
points in his arguments, and that is what I am doing. My point is that
my conclusion is a valid alternative to Walter's. If Pithom/Succoth
was occupied at two different periods, then that is good evidence for
the traditions about the place to originate in one of those two
periods. Walter has arbitrarily chosen the later of those two periods,
which fits better with the rest of his theory (though he has also
argued for a Hyksos period Exodus). I am suggesting that the earlier
of the two periods is an equally valid alternative, which is supported
by the evidence from the site of Avaris/Ramses (Tell ed Daba) - though
I don't have the data to find out if the sites were abandoned by
Asiatics at the same time as in the Exodus narrative.

Meanwhile, what scholarly grounds do you have to oppose the theory
that there is a "historical kernel" (as Walter puts it) behind Exodus
narratives in a departure of Asiatics from Egypt at the end of the
13th dynasty? You can say that it is an argument from silence, though
the silence is not complete, but what else?

As for Walter's latest contribution in which he mentions a number of
cities occupied in the Early Bronze and again in the Iron Age and
mentioned in the Exodus accounts, let me be a bit tongue in cheek in
suggesting that perhaps the "historical kernel" for the Exodus should
be pushed back to the Early Bronze ;-) A more serious argument would
be that the cities of Arad, Heshbon and Dibon were on different sites
during the Conquest period - it is well known that cities do move
around and take their names with them.

Peter Kirk