b-hebrew - Re[2]: Num 14:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Num 14:18
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:57:50 -0500

Thank you, Todd, for your practical wisdom. But can you give evidence
that the Hebrew NF&F) or NASA means "lack of eternal punishment"? This
seems to be a rather anachronistic thought, perhaps based more on your
admirable theology rather than on the Hebrew text. Even the lexica
which translate "forgive" may well be influenced by theological
understandings, and there are also obviously different ideas of what
"forgive" means in English.

As for the parallel with Exodus 20:5-6, that is interesting. The
grammar of L:&ON:)FY "those who hate me" seems rather odd: are these
the fathers or the descendants? Perhaps the meaning is something like
"if the fathers sin, I will punish those of their descendants who hate
me (to the third an fourth generation), but show XESED to those of
their descendants who love and obey me (for thousands of
generations)". And XESED here must include forgiveness, or at least
forbearance, as well as love. So wicked sons are punished for the sins
of their fathers as well as their own, but faithful sons are not
punnished for the sins of their forebears. Does that make sense? That
is rather different from Harold's interpretation, but I think is a
better explanation of the relevance of verse 6, taking the "thousands"
(with many translations) as "thousands of generations".

Peter Kirk