b-hebrew - Re: yad/memorial

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: yad/memorial
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:27:56 -0500

Just possibly relevant, though probably not: in Azerbaijani the word
"yad" means "memory" (but not "memorial", more like "mind"), and I
think (from memory) that this is of Persian origin. Or perhaps this is
even from the Semitic "hand". Worth looking into - could the Hebrew
usage be of the same Persian origin (and so presumably late)?

On the other hand, the idea of a standing stone looking like a hand,
or a handle (also "yad" in Hebrew), seems quite plausible.

Peter Kirk