b-hebrew - Re: Num 14:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Todd Young <tbbyoung AT flash.net>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Num 14:18
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:29:48 -0600

"Harold R. Holmyard III" wrote:

> Dear Bill,
> You suggested that many translations of Num 14:18 turn the words into
> "double-speak" by adding "the guilty" after "He will not leave unpunished."
> By "double-speak" I assume you mean that the verse would first say that God
> forgives sin and then would say that He punishes sin. If He forgives it,
> why does He punish it? If He forgives, why are the people still guilty?
> [BTW, it seems wrong to say that NF&F) does not mean "forgive" when that is
> a meaning found to be suitable by lexica at many verses.]
> The solution of these versions to insert "guilty" probably arises from
> reading of Num 14:18 alongside Exod 20:5. There God divides people into two
> groups, those who love Him and those who hate Him. Numbers 14:18 utilizes
> this foundational passage in a condensed form, leaving the reader to supply
> the missing elements. God is not forgiving and punishing the same group of
> people simultaneously. He is forgiving those who love Him and punishing
> those who hate Him.
>
> Sincerely,
> Harold Holmyard

I must take exception to your theory. Just because sin is forgiven does not
mean that
no punishment is due. When my 8 year old breaks a rule, he often says he is
sorry and
asks me to forgive him. I will forgive, but his actions still warrant some
form of
discipline. God disciplines those he loves. Forgiveness equals a lack of
eternal
punishment, but not eliminate temporal discipline or consequences.

Todd Young
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Fort Worth, TX