b-hebrew - Re: Diachronic study (History in Daniel)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <parousia_occ AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Diachronic study (History in Daniel)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 6:52:11

When doing a Jewish genealogy, one would often skip a generation (and
sometimes two) and supply the word "father" instead of "grandfather."
Notice with Joseph's sons. When Jacob gave his blessings, he regarded
Ephraim and Manasseh as his own rather than those of his son. This is not
something unusual, even in the third person. Not to cross out of Hebrew,
but I know the text of the B'riyt Khadashah a lot better than that of the
Tanach (although I hope to remedy this).

Matthew was a Jewish tax-collector. And he gives a genealgy of Jesus which
employs this very feature. Imagine it like this: "The heir of my heir is
my heir." So Nebuchadnezzar's son's son is still Nebbie's son. That's how
it works. The Hebrew AV (aleph beth), meaning "father," does not only mean
father, but forefather. A common synagogue prayer includes: << Adonai
Eloheinu veilohei avoteinu >> "Lord, our God and the God of our fathers."
This does not refer to our dads because it often continues with "God of
Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob."

Naturally, father can mean "ancestor." There is room for Belshazzar to be
Nebbie's grandson and old daddy to be off to war or whatever. Especially
if this is what is alluded to in outside sources (and it is).

Jason Hare