b-hebrew - RE: Solomon's Temple

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Solomon's Temple
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:42:42 +0100

Lewis' mail makes a lot of sense. I prepared a long answer by made a mistake
and it was lost. Here a short one.

1) I only referred to Jerusalem in the 10th century, not to Jerusalem in the
8th thu 6th centuries. Here we talk about a totally different situation.

2) Jerusalem has been extensively digged, more extensively than probably any
other spot on earth, and from the late 19th century to this very day. So if
nothing from the 10th century (the Tel Aviv opinion: Finkelstein, Ussishkin,
and now Herzog) has so far been found, there is a problem if somebody wants
to keep the biblical narrative.

3) As no inscriptions have been found in 'Jerusalem' of the 10th century,
this exchange will be of little interest to people of the B-Hebrew list.

NPL