b-hebrew - Solomon's Temple

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Robert Vining <rvining AT log.on.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Solomon's Temple
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:35:57 -0500

From: Lewis Reich [mailto:lewreich AT javanet.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 8:39 AM
To: Biblical Hebrew
Subject: Re: Deuteronomic King

On 12 Feb 00, at 14:28, Robert Vining wrote:

> Same for Solomon whose magnificent Temple has left not a trace.

This is not quite accurate. We do not know what traces of
Solomon's Temple are left because the Temple Mount has not
been archeologically surveyed or excavated. While it would not be
realistic to expect to find any remnants of its superstructure, in view
of the First Temple's destruction, and its replacement by later
buildings, its foundations might be found, as well as the retaining
walls of the earlier, smaller Temple Mount esplanade.

Lewis Reich

RV: My statement is no more categorical than this one found on the
Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs Web page- "Until this very day, not
a single
archeological remnant has
been found of the Temple of
Solomon. Therefore, in order to
describe it, we have to rely on
two other sources." (biblical & comparative)

Nevertheless, I will modify my statement to read- Same for Solomon
whose magnificent Temple has not yet left a trace.

Robert Vining, Owen Sound, Ontario rvining AT log.on.ca