b-hebrew - (Fwd) RE: End of Malachi: Kherem.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: (Fwd) RE: End of Malachi: Kherem.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:17:12 -0500

On 21 Feb 00, at 21:43, Liz Fried wrote:

> [...]

If a family member were involved, wouldn't one expect the language
to be more explicit about it? and judging by Rashi's commentary it
doesn't appear that the Mishnah understood it this way. Or am I
missing something?

> The same with houses, fields etc. If the house or field or person
> is not redeemed by the Jubilee, the person or field then becomes the
> property of the temple. If he redeems it prior to the jubilee, he
> pays the temple one-fifth, plus its assessed value.

There seem to be somewhat different rules depending on whether
the field is his akhuzah or whether it's a field he's bought...

> > If
> > we were dealing with regular loans, would there have been any need
> > for Hillel to institute the famous prozbul?

> The prozbol instituted a procedure for debts to
> continue to be paid during the sabbatical year.
> It was decided banks weren't people and didn't have to observe

IIRC under the prozbul debts were turned over to a bet din

> the release of debts in the sabbatical year.
> Lev. 27,interestingly, says nothing about a sabbatical year.
> Release of debts in the sabbatical year is only in Deut. 15.
> It is not priestly legislation.
> I doubt it involved the temple or the priests.
> Malachi uses priestly language.
>

> > > Speculating about Malachi, it may simply mean that people would
> > > become in a position in which they couldn't pay their debts, and
> > > the land would revert to the temple. That is, God will come and
> > > take the land and devote it to himself.
> >
> > That's an intriguing interpretation, but it somehow doesn't seem
> > to me a dire enough consequence that it would take Elijah's
> > appearance before the great and terrible day of YHWH to avert. And
> > then there's Malachi's interesting use of the verb v'hiketi; I
> > don't think there are other uses of the word herem that use such
> > plague- like lanuage.
> True enough!
> But it must mean that God is going to devote the land to himself.
> That is what Herem means, devoted to the lord. Perhaps it will lie
> fallow.

Herem in Deut 7 and in the Achan incident does seem to imply
something a bit more dramatic and sinister?

Lewis

  • (Fwd) RE: End of Malachi: Kherem., Lewis Reich, 02/21/2000