b-hebrew - Re: Miscellaneous minor points (El vs. YHWH, etc...)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Miscellaneous minor points (El vs. YHWH, etc...)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 01:16:25 +0100

At 15.21 21/02/00 -0600, Henry Churchyard wrote:
>(That's why I used the term "prophets", Ian --

Yes, I realized that you were setting up an escape route. I don't think it
helps much though.

>by which I didn't
>necessarily mean very much more than "strict religious reformers of
>unspecified pre-Hellenistic date".

I don't know how you can necessarily say "pre-Hellenistic": I can't see any
evidence you can muster. But accepting your assumption for a moment, the
problem becomes how pre-Hellenistic, when you consider the same situation
of Yahweh and his consort at Elephantine, which was in contact with
Jerusalem, in the fifth century.

>When archaeologists turn up
>shrines to YHWH and his Asherah, they're actually providing clear
>support for the factual historicity of the Bible ;-) .)

You have a very wonky idea of historicity here. It seems like the sort of
thought that would find Doctorow's "Ragtime" supported for the factual
historicity of its characters such as Houdini.

Cheers,

Ian