b-hebrew - Re: Dave Washburn's flame

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dave Washburn's flame
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:04:15 +0100

At 10.24 19/02/00 -0700, Dave Washburn wrote:
>Ian wrote:

>> >Peter, if this doesn't make it clear that Ian just doesn't get it,
>> >then nothing will.
>>
>> Ad hominem #1
>
>No, ad viewpoint, ad refusal to actually engage the material.

If "ad hominem" usually means "personal attack (as against dealing with
arguments)", 1) you have never dealt with the argument at hand, 2) your
statement is a personal attack, not viewpoint. I will repeat one of the
questions I have asked you a number of times in various forms: if you have
complaints about my criticisms of the Rohlian ages in chaos materials, what
exactly are they? If you cannot answer this simple question, then there is
no way that you can claim that I don't engage the material.

What I do find is no evidence that you are prepare to even look at the
mainstream literature.

>> >I suspect you and I have better things to do than put
>> >up with this kind of drivel.
>>
>> Ad hominem #2
>
>No, ad comments.

"Drivel" is ad hominem. You mightn't like the term, but you are guilty of
ordinary flaming. Why not simply admit it?

>> >Ian's approach is "I already know
>> >everything so don't confuse me"
>>
>> Ad hominem #3
>
>No, ad reduction of comments to their bare essentials.

Plain flame. They should throw you off.

>> >and that's obviously where his
>> >comfort zone is.
>>
>> Ad hominem #4
>
>How is this ad hominem?

Read it in conjunction with ya previous deep statement there, Dave.

>Once again, this is ad viewpoint. It's
>also a continuation of the previous sentence, so splitting it in two
>like this is incorrect.
>
>> >He's not going to read the material, he would
>> >rather tout his ignorance.
>>
>> Ad hominem #5
>
>No, ad comments and ad attitude clearly reflected and stated in
>numerous posts.

I note that you still don't defend the rubbish you have touted. You just
flame. You think that you can hide behind one book ignoring all the
scholarly work in the area that your guy meddles in and at the same time
talk about ignorance.

>> >Fine, I suggest that we let him and get
>> >on to discussing things with actual scholars.
>>
>> Ad hominem #6
>
>No, ad approach and attitude again.

Dave I think they should throw you off. You have the gall to try and say
you are not flaming. Don't be ridiculous. The post added nothing but
personal attack. Try and parse Ad hominem #6 so that it is not a personal
attack.

>It would seem that some
>definitions of "ad hominem" are out of sync with the commonly
>accepted ones.

Come again?

>> This post from Dave Washburn is nothing but a flame. There is *no* attempt
>> to further the discussion at all.
>
>There is no flame here. It is a summary statement of one POV
>within the discussion, nothing more.
>
>> Could the moderators please do something about it? In the past when I
>> responded to this sort of stuff I was the one put on moderated posting, so
>> naturally I won't give Dave the response he deserves.
>
>Hmm, one list resorts to moderated posting, another resorts to
>unsubscribing. So it would seem it's not just this list. Something
>to think about, perhaps.

Yeah, blatant flamers like you are usually ejected from serious lists.

>[snip]
>> I think someone should withhold his pocket money for a few days.
>
>Now *that's* an ad hominem But I'll let it pass, and per Lewis'
>request I will not respond again.

Cute.

Could the moderators please throw this guy off the list. He flames and
thinks it's ok.

Ian

  • Re: Dave Washburn's flame, Dave Washburn, 02/19/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Dave Washburn's flame, Ian Hutchesson, 02/19/2000