b-hebrew - Re: Surprise!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Surprise!
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:59:47 -0600 (CST)

[I fell behind in reading B-Hebrew over the holidays, but have mostly
caught up now...]

> Subject: Surprise!
> From: "Ruthy & Baruch" <alster AT comandcom.com>
> Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:24:31 +0200

> I am currently working on my MA thesis on surprise in Biblical
> narrative (from a literary perspective), and would like to ask you
> all a few questions, mainly about references:

> 6. Does anyone know of research in this subject in related ancient
> literature (apocrypha, Christian Bible, Rabbinic, ANE)?

This may or may not be particularly helpful to you, but in the Syriac
accentual system there is an accent which indicates an intonation of
`wonderment or dismay' (see p. 132 of Judah B. Segal, _The Diacritical
Points and the Accents in Syriac_, London Oriental Series, Volume 2.
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1953).

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/

  • Re: Surprise!, Henry Churchyard, 02/19/2000