b-hebrew - Re: Proverbs 8:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lbr AT sprynet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Proverbs 8:22
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 22:21:36 -0500

On 18 Feb 00, at 22:38, Ben Crick wrote:

> IMHO the definitive meaning is given by Eve in Genesis 4:1 when she
> brings forth QaYiN, crying QaNiYTiY 'iY$ 'eT-YHWH. So the nuance
> would be "procreated" rather than "created". God didn't create Cain;
> Adam and Eve pro-created him on God's behalf, or with God['s help]:
> 'eT-YHWH.

I've always wondered about the variety of meanings that seem to derive
from this root. It can have the meaning to create, or procreate, to buy The
general word for flocks of animals is MQNeH. Also, when Abraham
purchases the Cave of Machpelah from Ephron, it is referred to as a
MQNwH Gen. 23:18.

Lewis Reich