b-hebrew - Hebrew vs. Greek vs. English versification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kdlitwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Hebrew vs. Greek vs. English versification
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:50:43 -0800

Can someone help me with an explanations in scholarly literature
regarding the basis for the differing versification between the extant
HEbrew text, the LXX and English versification? It not only is
virtually impossible to predict verse numbers in the Psalms across
languages, but there seems to be no apparent reason for why Joel and
Malachi, to name two, are so different in verse numbers, while being
equal in content. I realize the LXX Psalter has an extra psalm, but
that doesn't explain Malachi. The situation is of course different with
Jeremiah where the LXX has a radically different text. Thanks.

Ken Litwak