b-hebrew - Re: Indirect Discourse Infinitive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <dalemw AT teleport.com>
  • To: "Ray Clendenen" <rclende AT lifeway.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Indirect Discourse Infinitive
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:01:47 -0800

At 08:44 AM 2/11/00 -0600, you wrote:

Ray Clendenen@BSSBNOTES
02/11/2000 08:44 AM

I wish I had time to look at this in detail. It's interesting. I notice
that the idea of purpose does not fit at least in Ex 32:14 and Dt 19:8. Van
der Merwe does not mention this as a use of the inf. const. My next step
would be to look at Cynthia Miller's book on reported speech, which
unfortunately I don't have with me right now. Sorry. It looks to me like a
new category may be needed.
Ray

Ray:

I was thinking that what we may have here is the common phenomenon of syntax books copying from the previous generation, for generation after generation, from language to language, and for some reason no one has yet to try to do a Syntax from the ground up based on linguistics and personal exposure to the text. I've found a couple of these types of things as I've been revising my Hebrew syntax notes that come with the Gramcord software. For example, W/O and GKC completely missed the use of the Inf Cstr as a Finite, which while not terribly common, does occur. So I started searching and found a tiny remark in the terribly disorganized Davidson's Syntax sec.96 Rem. 3, eg., Jer 9:5; Job 9:27.

Is Miller's book about Hebrew or general linguistics ?

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-251-6478 E-Mail: dalemw AT teleport.com