b-hebrew - Indirect Discourse Infinitive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <dalemw AT teleport.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Indirect Discourse Infinitive
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:26:18 -0800

Fellow bhebrew'ers:

I was looking at 1 Sam 19:1 this morning and came across DBR followed by an Infinitive Construct with L. My first inclination was to read the infinitive clause as an indirect discourse clause (where the original statement was an imperative or cohortative), but I couldn't remember any grammars ever listing such a function for the infinitive construct (I later checked W-O'C, GKC, DHS and found nothing).

The NIV, and most others evidently (!?!) understand it as an indirect discourse clause: "Saul told his son Jonathan and all the attendants to kill David.", but I'm not exactly sure what the NRSV thinks is going on syntactically: "Saul spoke with his son Jonathan and with all his servants about killing David."

Would Deut 1:14; 19:8; 2Ki 14:27 be other examples of Indirect Discourse after DBR ?

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-251-6478 E-Mail: dalemw AT teleport.com