b-hebrew - The conquests of Shechem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: barre AT access1.com
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: The conquests of Shechem
  • Date: 05 Feb 2000 23:38:19 -0800

Dear List,

It occurred to me that it may have been Hamor who took Shechem and not Jacob
since
Jacob apparently took it from Hamor. If so, this would lower the dating of
Jacob's
possession to sometime between the Amarna age of the 14th century and the one
that
follows. That Hamor was historical is indicated by Gaal's causal reference
in Judg 9:28 so
that we have the sequence regarding the possession of Shechem as
Lab'ayu--Hamor--Jacob.
The question is when did Hamor's (Hivites) people take the city while
acknowledging that it
may have been yet a different group to which the Amarna letter refers?
Therefore I must
recant my view that the letter refers to Jacob. Hamor or a preceding Hivite
ruler seems more
likely whose date of conquest we can now narrow considerably by the Amarna
allusion and
likewise define the parameters for Jacob's taking the city from Hamor and
which was in
Jacob's possession sometime before the taking of the land under Joshua.

LMB

L.M. Barre
www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael
Point Loma, California