b-hebrew - RE: Dating Jacob/Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Dating Jacob/Israel
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:30:55 -0700

On this subject it seems to me that we have one possible dating
tool that hasn't been discussed yet, in Gen 47:26 where Joseph
established a law regarding a fifth of everyone's crops going to
Pharaoh, a law that continues "to this very day" heb. `ad hayyom
hazzeh. Has the question of such a law in ancient Egypt been
investigated at all? I'm also interested in studies of the phrase `ad
hayyom hazzeh as a possible dating tool in other passages,
particularly those mentioning place names (i.e. "it's called x to this
very day"). If we take the phrase at face value, it seems to me that
the durations of such laws and place names might give us, at
least, latest possible dates for some of the texts before us.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11