b-hebrew - RE: Dating Jacob/Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'barre AT access1.com'" <barre AT access1.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Dating Jacob/Israel
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:07:25 +0100

Before people start to think too much about the Habiru in this letter and in
many other Amarna letters, they should consult Mendenhall, The Tenth
Generation (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 1973), pp. 122-141, and Mario
Liverani, "Farsi Habiru", Vicino Oriente 2 (1979), pp. 65-77. I am sure
that Ian H. with his access to Italian sources can dig it out. The habiru in
many Amarna letters do not constitute a social group; the term is often used
simply to smear the adversaries of the author of the letter in question in
the eyes of the Egyptians. The evidence in favor of this interpretation is
as a matter of fact quite strong. E.g. EA 288:44 (ÌR-Chepa to Farao): Look,
the subjects of Zimrida of Lakish/the slaevs have killed him and had turned
into Habiru. EA 148:46: (Abi-Milku of Tyre to Farao): The land of the king
has become habiru. EA 144:25: Zimrida of Sidon to Farao) All the cities that
the king has put in my hand have become Habiru, etc. etc.

NPL