b-hebrew - RE: conquest etc.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Peter Kirk' <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: conquest etc.
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:25:51 +0100

I can see that you did not answer my direct question again, and repeat for
the third time: Give me a precise answer to my question. Do not try to evade
it by a counterattack. The ball is on your part of the field.

[Niels Peter Lemche]

But it is not a clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia but a
handwritten manuscript from 1008 CE. That makes a difference, right?

> The
> account does not clearly identify either the time of the destructions
> or the exact places.
[Niels Peter Lemche]
The biblical account does. The biblical chronology is very specific.

> Someone, maybe centuries ago, suggested (but
> without any real proof) a possible dating and identification of the
> cities. Later on archaeologists dug up those cities and found they
> were not destroyed at those times. Does that make the account
> necessarily inaccurate? No, all it does is make those suggested
> identifications inaccurate.
>
> It is perfectly reasonable for anyone to suggest other
> identifications. This is apparently what Dr. John Bimson has done, and
> his scholarship was recognised in the award of a doctorate for his
> work. If there is some other identification in which the account ties
> up with the archaeological data, then either the account is
> historically accurate or it corresponds coincidentally with the data.
> The latter is unlikely if there are several correspondences, and this
> will suggest that the account does have some historical value. That is
> not presumed in advance, but neither is its historicity written off
> because the first attempt to fit it to the facts has failed.

[Niels Peter Lemche]
I know Dr Bimson's book from years ago and found the argument
extremely twisted to use one of the favorite expressions of my critics (like
Dever who will certainly agree with me as far as this is concerned).

> Meanwhile are you really claiming (as you seem to in the middle of a
> passage where you seem to have become carried away by your rhetoric)
> that Beitin and el-Jib were founded later than any possible time for
> Joshua? If so you are directly disagreeing with Rohl's table which
> shows them both as extant in MB IIB.
[Niels Peter Lemche]
I simply do not care about Rohl. I know the excavation reports as
far as they have been published and stay with them and some accepted
chronology and not something invented or imagined.

> And not just with Rohl. A.R.
> Millard writes in "New Bible Dictionary" that "Excavations at el-Jib,
> some 6 miles north of Jerusalem, during 1956, 1957 and 1959 have
> revealed remains of cities of the Early and Middle II Bronze Age..."
> (s.v. Gibeon) and "The modern Tell Beitin... seems to have been
> established early in the Middle Bronze Age." (s.v. Bethel). Do you
> actually dispute these data?

[Niels Peter Lemche]
Yes, because I read Pritchard's thing and not an article in a
dictionary that is not often quoted in scholarly circles. But try the ABD
for an exchange, or the two archaoelogical dictionaries, the New
Archaeological Excyclopedia of Excavations in the Holy Land, and the Meyers
5 volume one from Oxford (I do not have it here so I cannot give any precise
title).

> Incidentally, I am quite prepared to consider solutions in which it is
> the Israelite dates which are changed and the Egyptian ones are fixed,
> rather than Rohl's attempts to redate Egyptian history in a way which
> conveniently matches the Bible (though he relies on other strong
> evidence, not just the dates in Kings, for his redating). I just
> expect good evidence for the traditional dating and not just the sort
> of gut reaction which one sometimes sees to challenges to long held
> theories. Rohl and Kitchen disagree, and I will leave the veteran
> expert and the younger challenger to slug this one out before
> committing myself.
[Niels Peter Lemche]
Again you evaded my direct question and instead turned to something
you cannot control. I made references to two accepted and acknowledged works
on chronology, Finegan and CANE. Start there instead of asking me to use
time explaining what has been explained before so many times. You can also
start with Landsberger's article on Dark Ages that was published decades ago
and work your way through the discussion. Or you could approach Kenneth
Kitchen, and I can asure you that if there was any chance of moving around
with Egyptian chronology as it has happened here, he would a long time ago
have grasped it. But he is a professional and wants to discuss this in a
professional way. I can recomend his article 'Egyptians and Hebrews, from
Ra'amses to Jericho', in Shmuel Ahituv and Eliezer D. Oren, The Origin of
Early Israel -- Current Debate (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Press,
Beersheva, 1997), pp. 65-131, which is a very conservative statement. Or
Ernest S. Frerichs and Leonard H. Lesko, Exodus: The Egyptian Evidence
(Winona Lake, Eisenbrauns, 1997), the last one being only a 100 easygoing
pages, readily accessible.
[Niels Peter Lemche] NPL
[Niels Peter Lemche]