b-hebrew - Re[4]: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalie

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalie
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:32:18 -0500

Why does everyone persist in saying that Ai must be et-Tell and then
use this as an excuse to rubbish the account in Joshua? There are
plenty of other tells in the neighbourhood which could have been the
site of the story in Joshua. Rohl and presumably Bimson suggest
Khirbet Nisya, which was abandoned at the end of MB IIB. Rohl's table
also shows Gibeon, el-Jib as being extant in MB IIB and abandoned at
the end of that period. The other sites whose destruction at the end
of MB IIB are listed by Rohl are: Jericho; Hebron (el-Khalil); Arad;
Debir; Lachish; Hazor; Bethel (Beitin). I cannot confirm these data,
but does anyone wish to dispute them?

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Author: <npl AT teol.ku.dk> at Internet
Date: 26/01/2000 18:48

Was there any Gibeon in the 16th century? I remember Pritchard claiming that
Gibeon was one of the villages-township founded in the early Iron period.
And what about Aj, who forgot Ai--et Tell that was not rebuilt after its
destruction in the Early Bronze age (a small shortlived village in the EI I
period). there is no common horizon ever that brings the stories of Joshua
together.

NPL

  • Re[4]: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalie, Peter Kirk, 01/27/2000