b-hebrew - RE: Gilgamesh (and Gawain)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Bryan Rocine' <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gilgamesh (and Gawain)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:06:57 +0100

Point below well taken. I suggest that we here have literarily elaborate
examples of the old tale about the male hero of the fairy-tales, as analyzed
by Propp and others. There is really no reason to find direct links. I
believe that most popular literatures includes examples.

Whether or not it has something to do with general human experience is a
question I cannot answer. But we have plenty of evidence of literature that
might reflect such experience, and from most quarters of the earth.

NPL