b-hebrew - SV: historiography (TLT)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Ian Hutchesson' <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: historiography (TLT)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:26:25 +0100

Dear Jan,
sorry to be so slow in answering, but I am much preoccupied with exams right
now. I will only respond to the issue you see as foul play:
I find dating generally very fragile and often misleading when we rarely
have texts that are truly contemporary let alone written from a common
perspective. Nevertheless, Elephantine, though itself not surviving into the
Hellenistic period, offers us an interesting window into West Semitic
military colonies in Egypt: a social structure that is found at later
periods. The patterns of local synchronism and the effects of intermarriage
argue for the assumption of multiple forms of Judaism in the Egyptian
diaspora, and undermine automatic assumptions that Mediterranean Judaism is
of a single form. I would also say that this kind of Judaism can not be like
that of what you seem to assume is a more original mother Judaism of
Palestine. Samaritanism is fundamentally different from Jerusalem based
Judaism. These 'fundamentals' are not in creed or practice so much as in
location and tradition. I moreover doubt that there ever was a 'split' on
the basis that an original 'unity' is unlikely (see I.Hjelm, Samaritans,
Sheffield, just out). My Samaritan flavor is found in the Pentateuch, which
by the way is among the DSS!
The deposits at Qumran do seem to be 1st cent. BCE, but the composition of
the texts? The jury is still out on Doudna's chronology. Alexandrian Judaism
is not so hard to date and 2nd cent bce to Philo is not hard to defend; nor
is its distinction from what some think of as mainstream.
Thomas