b-hebrew - Re: Jer 7:21-23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ruthy & Baruch <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jer 7:21-23
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:06:41 +0200

Ruthy & Baruch wrote:

> > The immediate reason for Jeremiah's condemnation of the cult is the
> > hypocrisy of the Judeans, who break God's moral laws, worship idols, and
> > then go the Temple and say "We have been saved" (Things haven't changed
> much
> > since then). But his rejection of the cult is absolute: "Pile your
> > fire-offerings on top of your burnt-offerings and eat [the[ meat]" The
> Lord
> > doesn't need any of that stuff, maybe you do. He never commanded you in
> any
> > case to sacrifice to him. That was your idea.
> > That's my reading of Jeremiah 7:21-23.
>
> Literally interpreting this passage, you're right. But I think the context
> of the Judeans' hipocrisy makes it more probable to see it as a rhetorical
> device, such as in Ben's reading in his postthe other day. Had the cult
> not been opposed to moral laws, it would have been okay, unlike "pagan"
> practices, which are generally condemned on their own.

Isaiah's attack on the cult in Ch. 1 can be interpreted in this way, for he
elsewhere
(Ch. 2) defends the centrality of the Jerusalem Temple.
But not Jeremiah. He was a revolutionary in many ways. For example, he claims
that in
days to come there will be no need for a temple, all the world will be his
Temple.
Therefore, it follows that God doesn't need any sacrifices.
There will be no need for a weritten Covenant, because the Covenant will be
inscribed
in the hearts of men.
On this analysis of Jeremiah's teachings, saa the Hrbrew article by Moshe
Weinfeld, in
Iyyunim be-Sefer Yirmiyah, Jerusalem, Qiryat Sefer
Yours,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies