b-hebrew - Re[2]: SV: historiography (TLT)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: SV: historiography (TLT)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:02:59 -0500

Agreed. But your methods can only give you a latest possible time for
the finalisation of the Pentateuch, and so for you to say that the
split between Judea and Samaria came after that tells you nothing
about the dating of the latter. Don't fall into the trap of assuming
that latest possible dates are actual dates.

Perhaps the argument works better in the other direction. Now I know I
am not an expert in this field. But it seems that we could read the
Elephantine texts as suggesting that there was already a split between
Judea and Samaria. Does that not imply, by your own argument below,
that the Pentateuch was finalised before the date of the Elephantine
texts?

Peter Kirk