b-hebrew - Re: Jer 7:21-23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jer 7:21-23
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:27:02 +0200

peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:

> So do we have to interpret this as Jeremiah contradicting the rest of
> scripture? Or can we use this as evidence that the Bible contradicts
> itself?

[JDSafren] Yes on both counts. On your first question, see Amos' rhetorical
question
on 5:25: "Did you offer burnt-offerings and sacrifices to me 40 years in the
desert, O
House of Israel?" Both prophets regard the sacrifical cult as something not
pertaining
to the true worship of of the Lord, something alien, even pagan.
On your second question, compare the prophetic and Pentateuchal ideas of
Divine reward
and punishment with the sentiments expressed in Job. Or take any Introduction
to the
Study of the Hebrew Bible.
Yours,
--