b-hebrew - Re: The gods of "Israel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The gods of "Israel"
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:30:33 -0500

I believe in and worship one deity and call him (amongst other things)
"God". My French friend believes in and worships one deity and calls
him "Dieu". Does that mean that we have two different gods, or just
that we have two different words or names for one God?

If you prefer a more polytheistic context, how about the Roman who
worshipped Jupiter and the Greek who worshipped Zeus? Two gods, or two
names for one god? Not such an easy question, I know. But how do we
distinguish between one god with two names and two separate gods?

Do you have any evidence that any "Israelite" believed in and/or
worhipped two separate divinities El and Yahweh? If not, could it not
be that they were the same God.

Peter Kirk