b-hebrew - RE: Psalm 51:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve.Thompson AT avondale.edu.au" <steve.thompson AT avondale.edu.au>
  • To: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Psalm 51:5
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:55:53 +1100

Have you considered the "ritual impurity" interpretation of this passage?
"brought forth in (wn, conceived in xt)" according to this view refers to
the ritual impurity contracted during sexual intercourse (Lev 15:18) and
childbirth (Lev 12:2) had to be cleansed by taking sacrifices to the priest
according to Lev 12:6-8. Those who neglected to do so must "bear their
(wn", Lev 17:16.
In other words, ritual impurity was taken seriously according to the Hebrew
Bible, however strange the concept seems to many people today.

For a light-hearted alternate explanation of the thoughts of king David, at
both ends of his life, consider the doggerel of James Ball Naylor
(1860-1945):

King David and king Solomon led merry, merry lives,
with many many lady friends and many many wives;
But when old age crept over them, with many many qualms,
Kind Solomon wrote the Proverbs, and king David wrote the Psalms

Steven Thompson, Dean
Faculty of Theology, Avondale College
Internet: steve.thompson AT avondale.edu.au
CompuServe: 102555,1513
Voice +61 2 4980 2225
Fax +61 2 4980 2118

On Monday, 10 January 2000 22:16, Bill Ross [SMTP:wross AT farmerstel.com]
wrote:
> Hello, my name is Bill Ross. I'm new to B-Hebrew. I'm just learning
Hebrew.
> [...]
> said, There is a man child conceived.
> 4 Let that day be darkness; let not God regard it from above, neither
let
> the light shine upon it.
> 5 Let darkness and the shadow of death stain it; let a cloud dwell upon
> it; let the blackness of the day terrify it.
> 6 As for that night, let darkness seize upon it; let it not be joined
unto
> the days of the year, let it not come into the number of the months.
> 7 Lo, let that night be solitary, let no joyful voice come therein.
> 8 Let them curse it that curse the day, who are ready to raise up their
> mourning.
> 9 Let the stars of the twilight thereof be dark; let it look for light,
> but have none; neither let it see the dawning of the day:
> 10 Because it shut not up the doors of my mother's womb, nor hid sorrow
> from mine eyes.
> 11 Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I
> came out of the belly?
> 12 Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck?
> 13 For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept:
> then had I been at rest,
> 14 With kings and counsellors of the earth, which built desolate places
> for themselves;
> 15 Or with princes that had gold, who filled their houses with silver:
> 16 Or as an hidden untimely birth I had not been; as infants which never
> saw light.
> 17 There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at
rest.
> 18 There the prisoners rest together; they hear not the voice of the
> oppressor.
> 19 The small and great are there; and the servant is free from his
> master.
> 20 Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the
> bitter in soul;
> 21 Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for
> hid treasures;
> 22 Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the
grave?
> 23 Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath
hedged
> in?
> 24 For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out
like
> the waters.
> 25 For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which
> was afraid of is come unto me.
> 26 I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet
> trouble came.
>
> Does the Hebrew support or preclude this interpretation??
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> Bill Ross
> http://members.xoom.com/woundedego
> Download free music from my web page!
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as:
$subst('Email.Unsub')