b-hebrew - Re: historiography (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: historiography (Jonathan)
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 08:24:47 +0100

Jonathan D. Safren, responding to James West wrote:

>Notice I wasn't talking about the United Monarchy (David and
>Solomon), for which we have no external documentation, but about the
externally
>documented Kingdoms of Israel and Judah from the 9th century on.

Dear Jonathan,

Isn't this painting the situation in hues that are not appropriate? We have
documentation of the Kingdom of Israel for a stretch in the ninth century
and we have documentation of the Kingdom of Judah from the end of the eigth
century on. This is of course consistent with a possible rise of a state
Judah on the demise of Israel at the hands of the Assyrians.

Cheers,

Ian