b-hebrew - Re[2]: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: historiography
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 00:20:44 -0500

Actually, we have precisely this kind of material for all of those of
the surrounding cultures which left this kind of evidence, and we have
no such evidence for many other cultures which are known to exist from
material evidence or from chance mentions in inscriptions made by
others. Where are the inscriptions from the countless smaller kingdoms
swallowed up by the Assyrians and Babylonians? Am I not right in
thinking that it was only a few mega-powers - Egypt, Assyria, Babylon
- which left extensive monumental inscriptions? Otherwise, we seem to
have only a very few isolated ones.

If you think that I am mistaken, please give me a list of which
Ancient Near Eastern cultures of the 10th-7th centuries BCE have left
surviving monumental inscriptions. Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, one from
Moab, one possible forgery from Tel Dan, where else?

Peter Kirk