b-hebrew - Re[12]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[12]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 17:50:54 -0500

It seems you are right here. I got confused between spears and swords.
But how about this scenario for "third time lucky":

Saul falls on his sword and wounds himself severely.
Armour-bearer sees that Saul is dying and/or thinks that he is dead.
Armour-bearer falls on his sword and kills or mortally wounds himself.
Saul partly recovers, sees chariots approaching.
He tries to get up, leaning on his spear, perhaps hoping to escape.
He realises that he is too badly wounded and cannot escape.
Amalekite comes along and kills Saul.
Armour-bearer, if not already dead, dies of his wounds.

Are there any contradictions left with the Hebrew text? This may seem
implausible, but stranger things have happened. And then we have the
alternative that the Amalekite has twisted the history for his own
ends.

So where now is the evidence for multiple source documents?

Peter Kirk