b-hebrew - RE: Re[10]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Ian Hutchesson' <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[10]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:50:51 +0100

> >1:6-10 The Amalekite found Saul after he had impaled himself but not
> >yet quite dead. Presumably the armour-bearer was dead already, a sword
> >being more deadly than a spear. So the Amalekite kills Saul to put him
> >out of his misery, and walks off with his crown and armlet. David
> >believes the story as how else would the Amalekite have got the crown
> >and armlet?
> >
> >So where is the contradiction?

[Niels Peter Lemche]
There is nothing about being impaled on his spear. He is supported
by his spear, as I wrote evidently badly wounded, a kind of Custer's last
stand--in the Flynn version.

The phrase vehinne shaul nish´an ´al chanito cannot be translated
'pierced by his spear'. The verb sh´n has totally diffferent connotation. I
quote from HALAT German version p. 1489, nif. (no evidence of qal) 1: with
´al: Sich stützen auf 2. Sich aufgestützt legen, es sich bequem machen 3.
sich stützen auf, sich verlassen auf. PK's interpretation is totally
impossible.
NPL