b-hebrew - RE: Autographs, MSS and REAL Historiography Re: Methods in bibl ical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Moshe Shulman' <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Autographs, MSS and REAL Historiography Re: Methods in bibl ical scholarship
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:04:11 +0100

> > [Niels Peter Lemche]
> > Your hvae so litrtle sense of what history was about in ancient
> >times that I suggest that you start studying the subject. I would suggest
> >that you start by reading Quintillian, and continue with Cicero, and then
> >you can come back.
>
> I prefer Thucidides myself. History in ancient times is what it is now:
> propaganda. The term objective historuy is an oxymoron.
>
> moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705

[Niels Peter Lemche] I understand your point, but I asked you to
read the theory before you read the examples. Thucydides and Herodotus were
considered as two very different cases of histoery writing in Antiquity.
They were well aware of the difference. It is not something later
rationalization created.

NPL