b-hebrew - RE: Re[4]: JEDP (Melchizedek) (More Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[4]: JEDP (Melchizedek) (More Dave)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 23:41:03 +0100

Ian,

In spite of Dave Washburn's arrogance, he is mostly right on this. I have
also worked with the Aramaic text of the Genesis Apocryphon (translated it
for a new Danish translation of the DSS). It is as Washburn says as mixture
of a plain translation of parts of Genesis, free rewriting of Genesis
(espec. Gen 12, Abraham in Egypt) and more or less free fantacy like the
Lemek part. Some kind of Genesis seems to have been available to the author
of the GenAp. It need not be the genesis exactly as we have it, cf. Cryer in
Cryer and Thompson (eds.), Qumran between the Old andNew Testaments,
Sheffield, Academic, 1998.

NPL