b-hebrew - Re: Jeremiah 15:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jeremiah 15:19
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:51:32 +0800

David,

Sometimes it helps if you spell out a bit more clearly exactly what is
the question in your mind. Open-ended questions like this make at least
some of us suspicious that there is a hidden agenda in play. If you can
express something of what you already see concerning the issue, then we
can help you fill in some gaps.

I am guessing you have a two different questions in your mind: (1) Can
$UB be carrying the concept of repentance here, and (2) is the Hiphil
wayyiqtol continuing the "if" condition, or is it giving the apodosis as
the NKJ that you quoted expresses it. I am also guessing that you are
asking about NACHAM [NAXAM]--to have compassion rather than NAHAM--to
roar.

While the AV does indeed translate $UB as repent three times, a search
of the translation reveals almost all cases are NAXAM. The three cases
of $UB include one in 1 Kings, where the object of the turning is the
heart, which is an image that ties very closely to the emotional concept
that is in NAXAM. The other two cases, which are in Ezekiel, look very
similar to this Jeremiah passage, except that the Qal form is in the
imperative, not the qatal in an protasis. I would probably translate
both of the Ezekiel cases as "turn" or "return" rather than "repent". I
don't see the turning around as the concept of repentence in the Hebrew
language.

As far as the syntax, I assume you are only interested in the first two
instances of $UB in the verse. Because the normal continuation form for
an protasis is weqatal, and because the form here is wayyiqtol, I would
agree with the NKJ translation you have given--the hiphil is in the
apodosis.

HTH,

Paul