b-hebrew - Re: Jeremiah 15:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: David Bielby <dbielby AT juno.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jeremiah 15:19
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:26:01 -0800

I am not sure what you are asking, but the LXX appears to capture well the
flavor of
the Hebrew text. EPISTPEYIS can mean turn around, return, or repent, even
turn the
mind toward. APOKATASTHSW can mean return to a former position or bring back
to a
point, a restoration. Like the Hebrew of Jeremiah, "tashuv wa'ashivkha," I
think
both carry the sense:
"If you repent, I will restore you." (NIV)

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org