b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Theophoric names for women? (to Ian)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Theophoric names for women? (to Ian)
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:00:29 +0100

At 18.58 19/12/99 -0500, peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:
>Ian, does your method allow you to pin any name, Yahwistic or
>otherwise, on to a Jewish woman, or for that matter a Jewish man, from
>the first temple era? I ask in case the unwary may take a possible
>lack of convincing evidence for Yahwistic names for women as more
>significant than it actually would be.

Yes, Peter, you're right. My interest regards a certain argument that there
were numerous Yahwistic Hebrew names. At Kuntillat Ajrud -- good Judean
heartland -- for example, Yahweh and his consort were worshipped. Without
females names all arguments are off. One cannot simply use the masculine
names as indicators of people's beliefs at the time. Were there or were
there not names with an Asherah component? That's what interests me.

Cheers,

Ian