b-hebrew - Re[2]: Luz and Lud

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Luz and Lud
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 23:46:52 -0500

According to BDB, the Hebrew verb LUZ = turn aside, depart is cognate
with an Arabic verb "laadha" meaning "have recourse to, take refuge
in", using the soft d Dave mentions (i.e. the th sound in "the"). The
(Canaanite?) place name Luz could well have come from this root, with
the meaning "place of refuge", and such a place name could have been
common in the Semitic world. According to the regular sound changes
which Dave mentions, the original "Ludh" would have changed to "Luz"
in some Semitic dialects and "Lud" in others. (According to the table
I have from Patrick R. Bennett's "Comparative Semitic Linguistics"
pp.68-73, proto-Semitic dh became z in old Babylonian, Hebrew, Ge'ez
and Tigre, d or dh in Syriac, d in Urmi and Egyptian Arabic, and
remained dh in Ugaritic, classical Arabic and Jibbali - it has also
become z in Turkish and Farsi). The place name Lod = Lydda could be a
variant form of the same name, perhaps of Aramaic rather than Hebrew
origin because of the d. (The Arabic form of this name is apparently
"Ludd", which is probably borrowed from the Aramaic or Greek rather
than reflecting the original root.)

Peter Kirk