b-hebrew - Re: Luz and Lud

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Luz and Lud
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:18:15 -0700

George,
> Prompted by some recent threads, I want to ask the list whether anyone
> thinks there is any
> connection between Lud (Lydia in Asia Minor) and the 'Luz' of Jdg 1:26
> which is said to be
> the name of a Hittite city built by a former citizen of Bethel-Luz? Can we
> posit any of
> the zayin-daleth development which we see in Aramaic in the two names here?

I can only give a secondary source, but Cyrus Gordon on p. 30 of
the first fascicle of his Ugaritic Textbook gives a chart of various
consonant-changes (or variations, if one prefers) among several
semitic languages including Arabic, Ugaritic, Ethiopic, Hebrew,
Aramaic and Akkadian (which he spells Accadian). In the second
column, soft d (d with an underscore in his transliteration pattern)
is the same sound in Arabic and a couple of Ugaritic texts, hard d
in Ugaritic and Aramaic but z in Ethiopic, Hebrew and Accadian as
well as what he calls "Old Aramaic divergences." See also the
discussion on p. 26-27. So there does seem to be some prima
facie phonetic evidence for such a sound variation. Beyond that, I
can't say with any certainty.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11