b-hebrew - Re: Midrash

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris M. M. Brady" <christian.brady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Midrash
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:03:47 -0600

on 11/20/99 9:27 AM, Jim West (jwest AT highland.net) had this to say:

> At 07:41 PM 11/18/99 +1100, you wrote:
>>
>> Please bear with me if my question is a
>> little dumb. Would someone please explain the
>> concept of "midrash"? I would also appreciate
>> a critical response to it with reference as to why it
>> is/is not superior to the historical-grammatical
>> approach to exegesis and why it should/should not
>> be used.
>>
>> Also, is this method truly the method used by Jesus
>> along with the apostles?
>
> Midrash- from the verb darash "to seek" is a method of rabbinic exposition
> and exegesis which seeks to find the meaning, to the minutest of details, of
> the text of the bible. as to whether jesus used midrashic methods it is
> hard to say since we dont have any expositions of texts by him. that the
> apostles used midrashic method seems as uncertain as well, since we dont
> have any exegeses by them either. it is, however, doubtful as none of them
> were trained as rabbis.

Well, from Paul we have Gal. 3.16 "Now the promises were made to Abraham and
to his offspring; it does not say, 'And to offsprings,' as of many; but it
says, 'And to your offspring,' that is, to one person, who is Christ."

This is, I believe, a fairly clear example of midrash. For a similar,
rabbinic emphasis upon the singular form in a biblical text see Shmot Rabbah
to 15.1.

Yours,

Cb
--
C h r i s M M B r a d y
Director * Jewish Studies * Tulane University

http://www.tulane.edu/~jwst/
christian.brady AT tulane.edu

  • Re: Midrash, Chris M. M. Brady, 12/02/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Midrash, Jim West, 12/02/1999