b-hebrew - Re: Midrash

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Chris M M Brady <christian.brady AT tulane.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Midrash
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:17:40 -0500

At 10:03 AM 12/2/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Well, from Paul we have Gal. 3.16 "Now the promises were made to Abraham and
>to his offspring; it does not say, 'And to offsprings,' as of many; but it
>says, 'And to your offspring,' that is, to one person, who is Christ."
>
>This is, I believe, a fairly clear example of midrash. For a similar,
>rabbinic emphasis upon the singular form in a biblical text see Shmot Rabbah
>to 15.1.

I agree- there are plenty of midrashim in the NT. However, the original
question asked for examples of Jesus and the Apostles using Midrash. I dont
think we have an ipsissima verba from Jesus in which he uses Midrash; and we
dont have, in my estimation, a single text from one of the Twelve. Paul was
"apostolic" but he wasn't one of the Twelve.
Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest AT highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

"This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put." Winston
Churchill

  • Re: Midrash, Chris M. M. Brady, 12/02/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Midrash, Jim West, 12/02/1999